PROSPECTUS: Solo, Group and/or Curated Shows. Fill out the Application Form at the Bottom of the Page
ARC Gallery and Educational Foundation is a non-profit, woman-run cooperative gallery dedicated to providing alternative space exhibition opportunities for innovative artists outside the commercial gallery system. Since1973 ARC has given exposure and support to artists, providing an atmosphere for the continued development of artistic potential and experimentation. ARC Gallery’s Exhibitions Committee reviews all media including video, film, installation and performance. We prefer to see a body of related work that would be the basis of an exhibition at our gallery.
We encourage submissions and proposals for solo exhibitions, group shows and curated shows.
ARC is run entirely by its women artist members; as a non-profit exhibition space. ARC receives some support from outside funding sources but not enough to cover our operating expenses. Thus, to provide the space and services we offer to exhibiting artists, we defray our expenses by charging exhibition fees. Our rate is $850.00 for approximately 60 running feet of wall space. Gallery A, the front space of the gallery with large windows opening out to Chicago Avenue rents for $950.00 when not reserved by a member of the gallery. See our floor plan here. It is also possible to divide our Gallery C in half and have 2 shows in that space each renting for $425.00. Each of the rental spaces in the gallery actually costs twice as much as we charge the artists. The members of the gallery and the Educational Foundation subsidize each of the spaces by an additional $850.00 each month.
Included in the rental fee:
- Sale of Work: ARC does not take commission for work sold, but instead acts as a liaison for sales.
- Installation: Professional installation and de-installation of your show by ARC Gallery’s crew according to gallery guidelines (exceptions: artist’s site-specific installation).
- Documentation: Shows are documented on ARC Gallery’s website with the image, title and statement sent by the artist along with their website link. ARC digitally documents each show and retains the images for our gallery archives. It will then be archived, along with all of ARC Gallery’s 50 years of documentation, in the Ryerson Library of the Art Institute of Chicago for future scholarly research.
- Gallery Hours and Opening Reception: ARC members staff the gallery Thursday and Friday 2 to 6pm — Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4 pm. A cash-donations bar is set up and maintained by ARC members during an artists’ reception.
- Advertising: Monthly listings, press releases and e-announcements are sent to our mailing list of approximately 2,000 names which is updated regularly and includes the following sources: private individuals, gallery owners, critics, collectors, colleges, newspapers, museums, radio and television stations.
Accepted applicants will be responsible for:
- Rental Fee, Security Deposit and Returned, Signed Contract: A security deposit of $100 is required, which will be returned when all contract requirements have been successfully met.
- Delivery of Work: All materials regarding the exhibition, including artwork must be delivered to ARC by hand-delivery, FedEx or UPS at the artist’s expense on the date specified in the contract.
- Pick Up of Work: Artwork must be picked up by the artist and/or shipping arrangements prepaid and pre-arranged by the artist at the end date of show. ARC is not responsible for the return of artwork if unclaimed, or when no arrangements have been made. Work will be disposed of after 30 days from show date.
- Artwork that’s Available: Work must be up for the entire time of the exhibition; it may not be substituted, arrive later, or leave earlier than the contracted exhibition dates without exception.
- Announcement Postcards: These are optional and left to the discretion of the artist. ARC has a template that includes its logo, address, hours and sponsorship that the artist may utilize, as well as a media mailing list.
APPLY FOR A SHOW
- Submit the below application form.
- Images submitted must be jpgs, no other format will be accepted.
- Zip all your images into a single file, or compile them into a single pdf.
- Please number/label your image attachments.
- Upload an image list numbered to correspond to your numbered jpg images.