OBSERVING MOTHERHOOD (Call for Entries)
JUROR: LAURA CLOUD
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES – MARCH 21, 2021, 11:59pm CST
“Observing Motherhood” is an exhibition searching for innovative approaches to the representation of Motherhood, shifting the viewpoint from the overly nostalgic imagery promoted by popular culture, to a critical exploration of the subject. We’re looking for work that goes beyond the conventional stereotypes and is all inclusive of various marginalized groups. We welcome ALL perspectives and alternative viewpoints on the idea of Motherhood.
All media is accepted, including video, performance and sound; and all artists’ work will be considered. Due to space limitations no large projections or media-based installations will be accepted. Three “juror awards” will be selected for a small monetary award ($100 each); and awarded work will be featured on the ARC website.
The exhibition will run from April 30 – June 19, 2021. This time frame is equal to two ARC Gallery exhibition months – so more opportunity for your work to be viewed! We encourage everyone to enter (details below).
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Laura Cloud’s work has been exhibited internationally and nationally. Exhibitions include: actuel’art/lagalerie in Paris; Le Logge Art Gallery, Assisi, Italy; the Museu Historico de Santa Catarina in Florianopolis, Brazil; the Liu Hai Su Art Museum in Shanghai, the Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art in Chicago and the Sidney Yates Gallery in the Chicago Culture Center. She was invited to speak about her work at the 6th Annual International Conference on the Visual and Performing Arts in Athens, Greece. In 2016 she was an artist in residence at Green Olive Arts in Tetouan, Morocco and in 2019 she was an artist in residence at the Arte Studio Ginestrelle in Assisi Italy. Recent projects include collaborations with Michigan State University’s RECap Lab, the Snares to Wares Initiative and the Uganda Wildlife Authority.
Laura is an Associate Professor and coordinator of the sculpture program at Michigan State University. She received a BFA from the University of Hartford, Hartford Art School and her MFA from the Rhode Island School of Design
- At this time, we plan to have an actual exhibition at the gallery. There will be no in-person opening, though we will have a Virtual Opening Event on Zoom. The gallery will be open with limited hours and visitor restrictions (until it is safe to do otherwise).
- IF the city closes all businesses again, due to COVID-19, the gallery will be closed, but we will display the exhibition online, visible to everyone who visits our website. All artists will be identified, along with their work and artist statement; and we will send out a link to everyone on our mailing list, potentially 4000+ viewers.
- The new (Temporary) Gallery hours are: Fridays, 3-7pm; Saturdays and Sundays, 12-4pm. Masks for all visitors are required and no more than 6 people will be allowed in the gallery at one time. (Hours subject to change.)
Apply HERE. —–CLICK THIS LINK TO APPLY https://arcgallery.wufoo.com/forms/observing-motherhood/
Virtual Opening Reception, Saturday, May 1, 4:00-5:00pm
- Exhibition dates: Fri, April 30 – Sat, June 19, 2021
- Gallery hours: Fri – 3-7 pm, Sat & Sun – 12-4 pm