JUROR: Danny Floyd
Solitude can elicit either a sense of euphoria or peace, or a sense of confinement or punishment, while others are isolated in a community unit. As we move forward into the fall and winter months, and COVID continues to impede our movements and interactions, how do we, as individuals, or as members of a larger, even worldwide community, process these survival confinements? As artists, we can use our medium to express the inner joy, conflict, frustration, sadness or peace we find ourselves confronting. ARC is searching for your creative endeavors as a reflection of your process under the current circumstances, keeping artists alone but pulling together into a community.
All media is accepted, including video, performance and sound; and all artists’ work will be considered.
The exhibition will run from Jan 8 thru Feb 27, 2021. This time frame is equal to two ARC Gallery exhibition months – so more opportunity for your work to be viewed! We encourage everyone to enter (details below).
Entry fee: $40 for one to three images. $10 for each additional image (lower charge for students — High school or college students can pay a reduced fee of $25 per 3 entries with $10 for each additional entry (Please include copy of Student ID)). If paying by check, it must be received prior to jurying.
Apply here: https://arcgallery.wufoo.com/forms/solitude/
Exhibition contingency plans:
- At this time, we plan to have an actual exhibition at the gallery. There will be no in-person opening, though we will have a Virtual Opening Event on Zoom. The gallery will be open with limited hours and visitor restrictions (until it is safe to do otherwise).
- IF the city closes all businesses again, due to COVID-19, the gallery will be closed, but we will display the exhibition online, visible to everyone who visits our website. All artists will be identified, along with their work and artist statement; and we will send out a link to everyone on our mailing list, potentially 4000+ viewers.
- The new (Temporary) Gallery hours are: Fridays, 3-7pm; Saturdays and Sundays, 12-4pm. Masks for all visitors are required and no more than 6 people will be allowed in the gallery at one time. (Hours subject to change.)
ABOUT THE JUROR:
is an artist, researcher, curator, and educator based out of Chicago. At the risk of confusion, his work seeks the narrow threshold between meaning and nonsense in text and images. Often at odds with neuro-normative conventions, he embraces divergent thinking through improvisation and the delightfully weird. He is the Exhibitions Director for ACRE and a Lecturer of Visual & Critical Studies and Sculpture at SAIC. Since 2013, he has been an active part of Chicago’s artist-run space community through two programs, Ballroom Projects and Adler & Floyd. He has held curatorial residencies with ACRE and Chicago Artists Coalition. He was also awarded the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation Curatorial Fellowship in 2017.
Virtual Opening Reception, Saturday, Jan 9, 4:00-5:00pm
- Exhibition dates: Jan 8 – Feb 27, 2021
- Gallery hours: Fri – 3-7 pm, Sat & Sun – 12-4 pm