ARC LAUNCH GROUP
This category of membership is for emerging artists who would like to belong to the ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation, but for whom the monthly dues are prohibitive. The Launch Group includes a subsidized membership for those who have time and energy to dedicate to ARC.
The Launch program provides a hands-on learning experience on how a gallery runs including curating, installation, contracts, press releases, blog writing, grants, fundraising, scheduling, organizing, and long-range planning. This includes opportunities to meet and work with artists, media, arts organizations, arts patrons, and the public.
The program is initially for one year and renewable yearly for a total of three years. After one year, the Launch member is eligible to apply for full (board) membership or continue as a Launch member. Although the Launch member will have already been juried in as a member, full board membership or Launch renewal will be contingent on the Launch member having contributed energy equivalent to that of a board member. If Launch member has not contributed appropriate time and energy, she will not be asked on to the board. If accepted, a new board member will begin paying dues and at that time will be scheduled for a solo show in 18-24 months.
- Participation in the Annual Members Exhibition*
- Participation in traveling and/or exchange shows scheduled for that year.*
- Full voting rights.
- Tuition support (up to $100) to a local workshop (for grant-writing, business skills for artists, etc.)
- Annual collaboration in a curated Launch Group show or of a Launch Group themed juried exhibition.*Any fees associated with these exhibitions are not part of the Launch contract.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- Must be a woman artist living in the Chicago area.
- Gallery sitting one day a month (occasionally twice as needed).
- Participating on installation/de-installation day (one weekend day a month).
- Attending membership meetings (once a month).
- Attending and staffing opening receptions (usually first Friday of every month).
- Working on one major gallery project with mentor.
- Petitioning artist must submit a full résumé, artist statement, letter of intent detailing interests and personal goals, and 15-20 images of current work with image list.
- The Membership Chair will review applications and will then contact the applicant to set up a studio visit. This visit is meant to offer the applicant a chance to talk about their work, meet members, and ask any questions—and it is meant for gallery members to assess the seriousness of the applicant
- Launch membership in ARC is based on excellence of work and personal commitment to the goals and mission of this alternative gallery and its cooperative structure.
ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation is sponsored in part by grants from the Illinois Arts Council Agency, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, Wicker Park/Bucktown Chamber of Commerce Community Grant Program, the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation, our members and our ARCangels.