ARC Gallery, a non-profit women’s cooperative gallery, has been an integral part of the Chicago art scene since 1973. An exhibition opportunity for innovative, emerging, and in particular female artists exists today to an extent unheard of 43 years ago. ARC Gallery’s continual contribution to this movement has given exposure and support to artists through alternative spaces. It has provided an atmosphere for the continued development of artistic potential and experimentation.
- Each member is entitled to a solo exhibition within 18-24 months of joining the gallery
- Members participate in an annual group exhibition during Chicago Artists’ Month in October
- Members participate in any scheduled exchange exhibitions with other cooperatives throughout the US and abroad
- Each member may represent herself at the gallery with a personal publicity book and with a gallery space on the ARC website and a link to her own website.
- Members will automatically be included in ARC’s 43 years of archives now being housed at the Ryerson Library at the Art Institute of Chicago for future scholarly research and education on Women’s Alternative Spaces in Chicago.
- ARC takes no commission on work sold, therefore members receive the full requested value of any of their work sold
- Members have continual involvement and opportunities to exchange ideas, techniques and resources with artists, arts organizations as well as curate exhibitions, decide programming, etc.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- All Local ARC Members are women artists and Chicagoland residents
- Meet $60 / month dues payment by the 1st of each month (additional charges monthly for missing meetings and openings.)
- Note: initial contract is for 2 years, renewable yearly thereafter every August
- Must be able to gallery sit once a month, twice on occasion when needed
- Must be able to participate at monthly gallery openings, monthly membership meetings and other special events
- Required to serve on two gallery committees and attend all related committee meetings/events
- Petitioning artists should submit application by filling out the form below.
- The Membership Chair will review applications and present them to membership committee. If after review, the committee is interested in the work, a studio visit/interview will be conducted. If met with a favorable response, the membership will present candidate’s application to local membership with its recommendation. Members will then decide whether the artist is accepted into the gallery as a member.
- Membership in ARC is based on excellence of work and personal commitment to the goals and mission of this alternative gallery and its cooperative structure.
Apply for Local Membership
ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation is sponsored in part by grants from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency, by a CityArts Program 1 Grant and a CAAP Grant, both from the City of Chicago, Department of Cultural Affairs, by an Arts Work Fund grant from the Chicago Community Foundation, the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation, the generosity of the Ravenswood Bank, our members and our ARCangels.