ARC LAUNCH GROUP
This category of membership is for emerging artists who would like to belong to the ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation, but for whom the monthly dues are prohibitive. The Launch Group includes a subsidized membership for those who have time and energy to dedicate to ARC.
The Launch program provides a hands-on learning experience on how a gallery runs including curating, installation, contracts, press releases, blog writing, grants, fundraising, scheduling, organizing, and long-range planning. This includes opportunities to meet and work with artists, media, arts organizations, arts patrons, and the public.
The program is initially for one year and renewable yearly for a total of three years. After one year, the Launch member is eligible to apply for full (board) membership or continue as a Launch member. Although the Launch member will have already been juried in as a member, full board membership or Launch renewal will be contingent on the Launch member having contributed energy equivalent to that of a board member. If Launch member has not contributed appropriate time and energy, she will not be asked on to the board. If accepted, a new board member will begin paying dues and at that time will be scheduled for a solo show in 18-24 months.
- Participation in the Annual Members Exhibition*
- Participation in traveling and/or exchange shows scheduled for that year.*
- Full voting rights.
- Tuition support (up to $100) to a local workshop (for grant-writing, business skills for artists, etc.)
- Annual collaboration in a curated Launch Group show or of a Launch Group themed juried exhibition.*Any fees associated with these exhibitions are not part of the Launch contract.
- Must be a woman artist living in the Chicago area.
- Gallery sitting one day a month (occasionally twice as needed).
- Participating on installation/de-installation day (one weekend day a month).
- Attending membership meetings (once a month).
- Attending and staffing opening receptions (usually first Friday of every month).
- Working on one major gallery project with mentor.
Petitioning artist must submit a full résumé, artist statement, letter of intent detailing interests and personal goals, and 15-20 images of current work with image list.
The membership committee reviews application materials. If after review, the committee is interested, a studio visit/interview will be conducted. The membership committee will present the candidate’s application to the board of directors with its recommendation. Members will then decide whether the artist is accepted as a Launch Group Member. Launch membership in ARC is based on excellence of work and personal commitment to the goals and mission of this alternative gallery and its cooperative structure.
ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation is sponsored in part by grants from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency, by a CityArts Program 1 Grant and aCAAP Grant, both from the City of Chicago, Department of Cultural Affairs, by an Arts Work Fund grant from the Chicago Community Foundation, the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation, the generosity of the Ravenswood Bank, our members and our ARCangels.