ARC Gallery, a non-profit women’s cooperative gallery, has been an integral part of the Chicago art scene since 1973. An exhibition opportunity for innovative, emerging, and in particular female artists exists today to an extent unheard of 43 years ago. ARC Gallery’s continual contribution to this movement has given exposure and support to artists through alternative spaces. It has provided an atmosphere for the continued development of artistic potential and experimentation.
- Each member will be entitled to a solo exhibition within 18-24 months of joining the gallery and again 18-24 months thereafter. Note that your show will be booked as close to the 18-24 month time period as is possible dependent upon the pre-existing exhibition calendar
- Each member will receive the full requested value of her work. ARC charges no commission.
- Each member may represent herself at the gallery with a personal publicity book and with a gallery space on the ARC website and a link to her own website.
- Participation in the yearly membership group exhibition and in exchange exhibitions with other cooperatives throughout the US and abroad.
- Continual involvement and opportunities to exchange ideas, techniques, and resources with other artists.
- $120 in membership dues are payable each month. The Initial contract is for 2 years and renewable year by year thereafter.
- Members are required to pay their dues month by month, unless a prior payment arrangement has been made with the President upon return of this signed and dated contract.
- Members who wish to resign their membership prior to the end of a contract will be obligated to pay any dues, assessments, or other charges remaining unpaid as stated in Article III, Section 5 of ARC by-laws. Written resignation is requested for members not fulfilling contract, at least one month ahead of planned membership termination. The President will then discuss situation with member to formalize contract termination and have arrangements made to collect unpaid dues. The President must be informed of renewal of membership prior to board elections held each May of each fiscal year.
- Petitioning artists should submit application by filling out the form below.
- The Membership Chair will review applications and present them to the membership committee. If after review, the committee is interested in the work, an interview will be conducted. If met with a favorable response, the committee will present the candidate’s application to ARC members with its recommendation. Members will then decide whether the artist will be accepted into the gallery as a member.
- Membership in ARC is based on excellence of work and personal commitment to the goals and mission of this alternative gallery and its cooperative structure.
Apply for Inter / National Membership
ARC Gallery & Educational Foundation is sponsored in part by grants from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency, by a CityArts Program 1 Grant and a CAAP Grant, both from the City of Chicago, Department of Cultural Affairs, by an Arts Work Fund grant from the Chicago Community Foundation, the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation, the generosity of the Ravenswood Bank, our members and our ARCangels.